Rules and Regulations
OAK GROVE HIGH SCHOOL
GENERAL RULES AND REGULATIONS: OAK GROVE HIGH SCHOOL
1. No one is allowed to carry cigarettes or tobacco products at school. The use of tobacco is prohibited on the campus.
2. No student will be allowed to leave the campus without permission from parents and approval of the principal. OGHS campus is closed to everyone except students and staff, unless cleared through the principal’s office. Upon permission to leave school for any reason, students must sign a checkout sheet in the office. Before you can sign out, your parents must be notified in advance that you are leaving the campus.
3. Any student who drives a car to school must park the car in the designated parking area and not return to the car at all during the school day unless permission is granted. The speed limit on campus is 15 MPH. Any unsafe use of a vehicle on campus will lead to suspension of a student’s privilege of bringing a vehicle on campus. Tiger Drive is off limits to all students parking during the school day. Also, students that are exiting to the South you must yield the right of way to the school bus. Any violations will result in a loss of driving privileges.
4. Under no circumstances will a student refer to a member of the staff or faculty in any way except Mr., Mrs., Miss, Coach. These are the only acceptable ones. Every student will use courtesy in answering adults—the acceptable answers are: Yes Sir, No Sir, Yes Ma’am, No Ma’am.
5. Each student returning to school following an absence will be required to furnish the office with a written excuse (signed by one or both of the student’s parents) stating the reason the student was absent. If a student fails to bring the note on the day he or she returns to school, an admit slip must be obtained from the office. This will allow the student another day to bring the note. If the note is not brought in within three days, the absence will be unexcused and no work may be made up. If a student is absent from school for one or more of the following reasons, the absence will be excused.
A. Personal illness (included are medical and dental appointments)
B. Illness in the family
C. Death in the family
D. Religious holidays
E. Other special reasons as authorized by the principal
Written excuses which give a reason or reasons for absences other than those listed above should be referred to the principal.
When a student returns to school following an excused absence, the student shall be given the opportunity to make-up missed work. The student is responsible for making the arrangements with the teachers involved. Students will be permitted the same number of days to make up work as she/he missed. A student that is present for all days except the day of the test and has received notification of the test date prior to the absence, provided that no additional material or instruction pertinent to the test was missed due to the absence, should take the test upon returning to school. A student should not be disadvantaged because of an excused absence, nor should they gain an advantage by being absent.
A student must be present for two periods to be present half a day. A student must be present 4 periods to be considered present the full day.
Any student that has 10 or more absences in a class period will be considered as having excessive absences. A student will only be allowed 2 weeks after the semester is over to have any of the excessive absences excused.
6 Any event that our school participates in is part of our total school program. The above rules as well as appearance regulations apply at all school activities. Any student that misses school cannot participate in events that night unless authorized by the principal.
7 The Elementary hall is off-limits to high school students unless it is a declared bad weather day. The “old” elementary hall should be used on these days and not the hallway by the elementary office and cafeteria. One should be quite, orderly and respectful when using this corridor.
8 All students will be required to dress out and participate in Physical Education. A note from a student’s parents requesting that the student be excused from P.E. for up to three days due to illness will be accepted unless the teacher feels that the privilege is being abused. If a student is to be excused from P.E. for more than 3 days due to illness, a doctor’s excuse is required.
9 No radios, pagers, CD players, MP3 players, game boys, lasers, etc. are permitted on this campus during the school day or at other school events.
10 Student cell phones are banned from the school campus. Meaning, No Student is to have a cell phone in his/her possession during the school day. If a student is caught with a cell phone in his/ her possession the punishment is as follows:
1st Time- Phone sent to the office to be kept for two weeks
- Parent must come pick up the phone
- 2 days detention
2nd Time and Following- Suspension and the Phone will be kept in the office for three weeks
- Parent must come pick up the phone
11 Any student on a suspension from school for disciplinary reasons is not allowed to participate in or attend any school event.
12 Unless a student has business on this campus, she/he is to stay off school property. No student is to enter school property at any time other than on school days or at school activities without permission.
13 No gum should be brought on this campus. Candy and drinks should not be taken in the classroom except on special occasions with the teacher’s permission and only after lunch. Concession and cafeteria trash should be properly deposited in the available trash cans and not thrown on the grounds or left on the tables. Abuse of this rule will result in the loss of concession privileges for the student body.
14 Tardiness cannot be tolerated either in coming to school each morning or between classes. Students who are late reporting to class should pick up a tardy slip from the office. Students removed from class to shave, change clothes, correct parking, etc. will receive a tardy slip. Repeated tardiness can lead to suspension from school.
1 tardy = Warning 2 tardies =1 day detention 3tardies = 3 days detention 4-5 tardies=Early Morning
After the 5th tardy the student will be suspended
15 Fighting on the school campus or at school-sponsored events is strictly forbidden. It is the student’s responsibility to report any problem encountered with another student or any problem observed between other students that may need administrative attention. Each student is to do whatever is necessary to avoid being in a fight or to stop a possible fight between classmates. When approached by a student who you are having a problem with, do not get involved. Turn away and walk to the nearest teacher or report the problem to the principal.
16 Class exchanges should be quiet and orderly. No pushing, shoving or playing. Keep your hands to yourself and your conversation and laughter at a normal tone. Do not loiter at your locker, blocking other students from their locker, and walk on the right side to facilitate traffic. Also, when traveling to the gym or Agriculture building, you are to use the sidewalk that extends past the old gym and are not to go between the Elementary building and the old gym.